Saturday, February 19, 2011

Disneyland vs Bethlehem

There are many reasons why I love being a missionary.  One of them being the adventures that come as I drive the long country roads of Tennessee.  They are each just jam packed with a story to tell.  The thing that one must understand about Tennessee roads is that they do not always make sense.  A road could end on one side of town and pick up on the other side going the completely opposite direction.  Intersections often result in street name changes and house numbers can seem as random as a bingo game.  This causes for great confusion in my mind.  Were it not for my GPS I would be stuck in the middle of nowhere, cold, and hungry.  Recently however these confusing roadways taught me something great.
As we wandered the other night through the dusty trails of Sparta we came to an intersection.  At this particular junction is the clash of two roads.  To the left, Disneyland Road.  There to our right, Bethlehem Road.  Now I am kind of a visual gal.  I pictured each road leading to their namesake.  Then I got to thinking..."if I had the choice right this very instant which way would I go? Would I choose to go enjoy the temporary splendor of the most magical place on earth, or decide to learn more of my Savior by visiting the place of His birth?"  Then I really got to thinking of the moments that come every day where I stand at similar, figurative, crossroads.  Chances to choose actions of fleeting happiness or of more eternal reward.  Too often I know that I have decided to take the road of greater appeal.  But at the end of the day I know that it is choosing the roads that lead us closer to the Savior that are going to produce the end result of which we all desire.  That is to return and live with Him.

Choosing Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment