Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bugs

Every morning.  Every night.  A couple of times in between.  I have discovered I have developed a rather healthy habit.  It is constantly bringing me great refreshment.  Now I do find myself praying that often, but that is not what I am referring too (although prayer brings great happiness to my life).  No, I have a love for brushing my teeth.  Just so clean and fresh.  As a missionary my toothbrush has made its permanent residence in its travel case.  Each time I pull it out of the bathroom drawer I am reminded of the kind of person that I want to be.  Yes, a person that values good hygiene, but more than that.  Before you think I am too crazy let me share a story...
A little over a year ago I was preparing to leave my home to make my way here to Tennessee to share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  There was about a million things to do.  The day of goodbye drew closer and closer and my to do list did not seem to be getting any shorter.  It was full of little tedious tasks.  As my mother and I were busy packing my little sister, whom I lovingly call Bugs was anxious to help.  I gave her one of the random tasks; washing out my toothbrush holder.  Weird I know.  With all of her six year old love she went to work.  She was willing and anxious to do what she had been asked.  She did not complain or argue because the job she had been assigned was not the coolest.  She happily went on her way and did what she could to serve.  Mom and I went about our work.  Nearly a half hour later Bugs returned with a practically new toothbrush holder.  Each of the several times a day I go to brush my teeth I think of that experience.  I think of the Christlike characteristics of my little sister.  The admonition of Christ to "becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things" becomes clearer to me and I am reminded of who the Savior wants me to be (Mosiah 3:19).  I am grateful to the wonderful example that I have in my life, and that I get to see each day as I learn from the little ones.




"And I am filled with charity, which is everlasting love; wherefore, all children are alike unto me; wherefore, I love little children with a perfect love; and they are all alike and partakers of salvation." Moroni 8:17

1 comment:

  1. I did NOT know you had a blog. Thanks Sister Best Friend for including that bit of info in your letters home. Fore had to tell me. :) All is well though, because now I know.

    ReplyDelete