Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Namesake

I remember all too well coming home from school in my younger years (okay lets not lie it still happens sometimes) seeking refuge from the torments of my peers.  Or leaving the gym frustrated because the taunts and screams from the opponent had gotten into my little head and taken a toll on my athletic performance.  This world is not lacking for that constant opinion of what you are not, and what you should be.  There will always be someone to tell you that you are not good enough, not skinny enough, not funny enough, or not smart enough.  It seems that such people are always easier to find than those who will build and encourage you to meet your potential.  When I came home with these feelings of discouragement I was often met with the same advice.  "You know Mar, just don't listen to them.  You know who you are and what you are about.  Just drown them out."




Always the easier said then done right?  I have however found it to be the most effective way of avoiding peer pressure/rejection.  As a missionary I am far from the most popular person in town.  Daily my deepest beliefs and passions mocked.  I will admit that there are times when it really gets to me, because this is who I am and I know that what I have been called to represent is true.   A scripture in the Book of Mormon has come to be especially meaningful to me on the matter.  You might recognize it.."they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we HEEDED THEM NOT" 1 Nephi 8:33.  Here the people Lehi is referring to had made it to the Savior.  They were feeling of His total goodness and love.  They had endured struggle to feel the peace that comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Many however, were mocking them.  Often times in the world in which we live doing what is right may not be the most popular decision.  They will try to tell you that the cool kids drink.  That love does not wait.  That making religion a priority is nerdy.  Yes undoubtedly there will be a never ending supply of beliefs that tell you that being part of the crowd is the answer.  The important thing is that we remember who's vote really counts. The Lords.  When all other opinions come in remember the counsel of the prophet of old HEED THEM NOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment