Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Chocolate Endorphin Prayer

I am beginning to realize that I have a short attention span.  Many are probably shocked that I am just now beginning to realize this.  What can I say I am daily growing older and more aware.  I have noticed that I occasionally have to take a break.  Step back.  Take a breathe.  Do something spontaneous.  Then my focus can return to the task at hand.  Prior to my mission  I had quite a few available outlets that I could count on to bring refreshment.  I could sing Wicked at the top of my lungs as I danced around the table with my sisters to get a break from house work.  I could escape to the gym with my friends for a few games of basketball to avoid a homework melt down.  The phone was an available tool to call a friend for some encouragement in moments of trial.  Yep I had the system pretty well figured out.  Or so I thought.  Then I came on a mission.  I can honestly say I have never been happier.  I find great fulfillment in being a missionary and love the people with whom I serve.  I would be lying however to say the need for momentary vacation has all together ceased.  Now my sisters are not around, my Nike's are in the safe, and the phone is for missionary purposes only.  My typical outlets have dissolved.  I have noticed new habits taking their place.  Daily I reach for the treat bucket to pull out some chocolate.  That satisfies for a time.  Occasionally I find some time to run up and down the stairs out side of our apartment to get some endorphins pumping.  That works for a good natural high.  The most satisfying outlet however comes when I make it to my knees and turn to my Heavenly Father in prayer.  The rest of the world around me seems to disappear and I find myself in a realm of peace and comfort.  Prayer helps me align my will with God's.  It brings direction.  It helps me to feel the love of my Eternal Father.  Prayer brings the refreshment necessary to face whatever life may bring.  It is by far the greatest outlet we have been given.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post Sister Larsen!!! I think this was for me!

    ReplyDelete