Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bread Bandit

If it had not happened twice, on two very separate occasions, I would have scheduled an appointment to get my eyes checked.  Things like this just do not happen every day.  The other night we were just making our way on one of Cookevilles busier streets.  We started approaching a truck that greatly resembles my Grandpa's old farm truck.  As we got closer I realized it was overflowing with bread.  Yep, bread.  Loaves and loaves of it-close to 500.  A few thoughts went through my head.  Either this man loves his peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or he hijaked the Spring Street bakery.  Needless to say I was left in awe.  A week or so later, still baffled by our first encounter we saw another 'bread truck'.  Apparently Cookeville has a real problem with bread crime.




Being a missionary this experience got me thinking gospel terms, go figure.  I was reminded of Christ's declaration in John 6, "I am the bread of life he that cometh to me shall never hunger and he that believeth in me shall never thirst".  The Savior gives the promise that those who seek for the "bread of life" shall have everlasting life.  Now wonder the invitation of "Come unto me" is so frequently extended in the scriptures (Alma 5:34).  It is the only way for us to "feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted" (2 Nephi 9:51).  The scriptures teach us how it is we are to lay hold upon this supply of everlasting bread.  We are directed to repent, bring forth works of righteousness, be born of the water and the spirit, immerse ourselves in the scriptures, pray with faith, bring a broken heart and contrite spirit, and partake of the sacrament.  If we intend to enjoy forever we must seek for that which will last forever.  We must like the Cookeville bread bandit fill our truckbeds to capacity.  We cannot afford to ignore the Savior's invitation.

Scripture References: Alma 5:33, Alma 5:35, John 3:5, 2 Nephi 32:3, Jacob 3:1-2, Psalms 51:17, John 6: 51-57, 3 Nephi 18 

No comments:

Post a Comment