Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Value of Work

Work: Be engaged in physical or mental activity in order to achieve a purpose or result, esp. in one's job; do work

I remember being handed a toilet cleaning brush at five years old.
Mostly because I know now how to keep the house clean.

I remember gathering thousands of rocks from the backyard for endless summers with my brothers and sisters.
Mostly because now I have a strong relationship with my siblings.
 
I remember late nights of my parents staying up with me to finish homework.
Mostly because now I can enjoy the blessings of valuing education.

I remember often being physically exhausted from service projects.
Mostly because I now value the satisfaction that comes from an exhausting day of missionary work.

I remember being drug out of bed for early scripture study and being hauled to church in frilly dresses.
Mostly because I have now been blessed with a personal testimony of Jesus Christ,  His  restored church, and with a love for His word.

One of the greatest gifts I have ever been given is an understanding of the value of work.  My parents were really good and helping us kids understand the definition of work early.  Because of it my life has forever been blessed.

"By work we sustain and enrich life. It enables us to survive the disappointments and tragedies of the mortal experience. Hard-earned achievement brings a sense of self-worth. Work builds and refines character, creates beauty, and is the instrument of our service to one another and to God. A consecrated life is filled with work, sometimes repetitive, sometimes menial, sometimes unappreciated but always work that improves, orders, sustains, lifts, ministers, aspires.”

1 comment:

  1. Highland is a great place to raise kids and teach a hard work ethic because of all the rocks. David and I make our kids pick up rocks too! I hope is strengthens there relationship with each other as it has for you and your sibs. Hard to believe you time of full time service is almost at an end. We are praying for you and all the missionaries. Love, Sister Brenchley

    ReplyDelete